Today we are excited to announce that we are adding a labs feature to Viostream to support 360 video.
What is 360 video, how does it work?
If you haven't already, check out the video above. After you click play use your mouse to drag the video around to see a different perspective... Cool right?
360 videos are shot using special cameras with either extremely wide angle lenses, or a combination of more than one camera.
The footage is then stitched together and folded into a sphere (think about how a world map become a globe), The viewer is then placed inside the globe and is able to rotate it around.
What does labs mean?
We are launching this functionality as an experiment. We are acknowledging that this feature has a number of known limitations, but we want you to be able to try it out sooner rather than later.
360 mode limitations
- iOS devices are currently not supported.
- Internet Explorer is not supported.
- Thumbnail will capture the full video frame (e.g. not a 360 section).
- Channels and Collections do not allow for 360 videos.
- Videos cannot use 360 mode when Calls to Action are enabled.
- Audio files are not supported.
- Multiple embeds on a single page is not supported with 360 video (all videos will have a 360 viewer).
- Captioning is not supported.