Riverbed works seamlessly with Viostream video delivery across the enterprise network by ensuring only one copy of a video is streamed over the WAN per site. Riverbed then makes copies of the video stream locally (caching the content) for each internal viewer, significantly reducing the bandwidth used by video transmission over the WAN while ensuring the best QoS on video streamed internally. The same principle is applied for live streaming, as Riverbed caches the live video chunks, effectively splitting a single live stream from the WAN into multiple streams over the LAN
How it works
Riverbed VOD and Live Distribution Optimisation
Viocorp and Riverbed have integrated their technology to optimise the transmission of live and on-demand video over the WAN, reducing the impact of video consumption on the network and enabling customers to realise increased returns on existing IT investments such as Riverbed WAN optimisation.
Viostream is a business video platform that enables enterprises to create and manage video content, increase reach and audience engagement.
Riverbed works with Viostream video delivery across the enterprise network by ensuring only one copy of a video is streamed over the WAN per site. Riverbed then makes copies of the video stream locally (caching the content) for each internal viewer, significantly reducing the bandwidth used by video transmission over the WAN whilst ensuring the best QoS on video streamed internally. The same principle is applied for live streaming, as Riverbed caches the live video chunks, effectively splitting a single live stream from the WAN into multiple streams over the LAN.
For internal video distribution to work effectively, encoding profiles (bitrates and resolutions) need to be optimised for each customer and limited in number. Riverbed will cache each encoded video file/chunk, so if there are 2 encoding profiles (e.g. 360p @ 512kbps and 576p @ 1,500kbps) Riverbed processes these as 2 separate files/streams and caches the chunks of both versions.
One of the primary challenges using live and on-demand video for internal communications is the impact of video bandwidth consumption the throughput capacity of the internal network.
Viostream's integration with Riverbed solves throughput capacity challenges and enables scalable live and on-demand video delivery across the entire enterprise. Organisations that have made an investment in Riverbed WAN optimisation can increase their ROI by leveraging Viostream video delivery to unlock internal communications and engagement opportunities.
Viostream Sub-account with Riverbed optimised distribution profiles and IP restrictions
- Viostream sub-account with Video-on-Demand (VOD) encoding profiles optimised for video delivery across the enterprise
- Customised IP restrictions to customer WAN/LAN applied as default across the sub-account
Distribution Profile Analysis
- During the initial set-up, and on an annual basis, Viocorp analyse the customer's business requirements for internal video distribution, their network and Riverbed configuration
- Viocorp recommends encoding profiles for efficient distribution of live and on-demand video across the customer's network leveraging existing Riverbed appliances and proposes custom solutions for sites where Riverbed WAN Optimisation is not yet deployed (implementation of custom solutions to be quoted separately)
- Viocorp tests the recommended encoding profiles and applies it to nominated sub-accounts for VOD and save live encoder profiles ready for deployment on Viocorp encoders when needed
- Where LiveBbox subscription has been procured, live encoding profiles will be implemented on Viocorp encoders and assigned to the appropriate LiveBox channel
- Where a Managed Live Webcast Production has been procured, Viocorp will use the custom live encoding profiles for distribution to internal viewers where appropriate
- Dedicated live encoders can be deployed either inside or outside the customer's network (dedicated encoders to be quoted separately)
- Viocorp to conduct a Riverbed Network Assessment and test video delivery through Riverbed devices including the modification of encoding profiles annually to account for changes to network topology, evolving needs of the business and technology advancements
- Riverbed Operating System Version 8.5.2
- RiOS v7+ for HDS & MSS
- RiOS v8.5.2+ for HLS
- Riverbed video optimsation doc here: HTTP Stream Splitting
- No additional docs required as Viocorp complete the setup and integration process.
- Yearly analysis and testing of video delivery through Riverbed appliances to account for changes to network topology, evolving needs of the business and technology advancements, limited to 2 man days per year
- Ad-hoc technical and troubleshooting support included through the year, limited to 5 man days per year